Friday

Fun Friday - The Year I was Born


The topic this week for Blogging for Fun's "Fun Friday" was to look up the year you were born and find out how much the following things cost that year. Stamp, gallon of milk, a new home, a new car, and a gallon of gas. As an add on we could see what was the number one song and movie the week we were born.

I was born in the year 1959. (No snickering please!)

I thought this was a fun little task and very interesting to find out how much cheaper things seemed to be. But when you see that the average household income was $5010 in 1959, maybe things weren't really that much cheaper.

Stamps were 4 cents.

A gallon of milk was $1.01

A new home was $12,500

A new car was $2200

Gas was 25 cents a gallon

Some other interesting prices are a movie ticket $1.00, loaf of bread 20 cents, T-bone steak: $1.09 lb., Nestles Quick 1 lb can at 39 cents, hamburger meat 89 cents for 3 pounds, and peanut butter 29 cents a jar.

The number one hit song on the day I was born was "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin.
The only thing I could find for movie hit was that Ben Hur won the Oscar for best movie.

A few other interesting facts about 1959 is that the United States President was Dwight D. Eisenhower. NASA introduced America's first astronauts to the world including John H. Glenn Jr, and Alan Shepard Jr. Alaska becomes the 49th State of the United States. Hawaii becomes the 50th State of the United States. Fidel Castro comes to power in Cuba after Revolution with the first communist state in the west. An International agreement is signed to preserve Antarctica. The spiritual leader of Tibet, the Dalai Lama flees Tibet and obtains political asylum in India. The first known human with HIV dies in Congo.

My most favorite thing about 1959 is that it was when the first Barbie doll was introduced. I loved Barbie and spent many hours playing with her. (That reminds me that I still have some of my original Barbie dolls and clothes. I will have to pull them out one day and share my collection). In honor of Barbie and the year I was born, here is the first Barbie commercial from 1959.



So that is my research for this week. I swear Melissa, our group leader is a born teacher. She loves to give homework.


If you would like to join our blogging group and participate in future "Fun Fridays", just click on the Yahoo Group link on this page.

Just to let you know, the picture at the top of this post is of me.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

What a cute baby you were. I am glad you enjoyed the Fun Friday topic. My post will be up soon. I love Barbie too. When I was a young girl, we did not have a ton of money, but I got a Barbie for Xmas. I loved her, and got many more over the years. Well I cut her hair into a bob, once, and I thought my mother would have a stroke. I did not know she was something special, because she was the first jointed Barbie, I just liked her hair short.

Femmepower said...

hahaha I enjoyed your post.now i know your age,lol!i'm not familiar with Bobby Darin though I think I've heard "Mack the Knife" somewhere.and you're quite true about melissa,lol.

Femmepower said...

and yes, you were so cute as a baby! i don't think i can still find my baby pictures but i'll keep on scouring.hehehe.

Mar said...

I agree, you were so cute as a baby. Nice research. Cheers!

Julie McClelland said...

$3 for a Barbie, oh I wish when I was buying these for friends children they had been that reasonable. 59' not a bad year, remeber fine wine is always best matured! :-)

Tellie said...

A new car was $2200 and a new home was $12,500!!?? I wish! I had fun reading your post. And when I read what year you were born I didn't snicker...much.

 
template by suckmylolly.com - header image (c) historypicks.com