Friday

Fun Friday - Food Transformations



This week the Blogging for Fun group's Fun Friday topic is Transformation. The assignment was to talk about your favorite food and transform it into something healthy.

My favorite food is Fettuccine Alfredo. But I don't want just any recipe. I am spoiled by my husband when he cooks it for me and his recipe is the best (We joke that it is the reason I married him). I really couldn't even start to explain how he makes it. He has a real technique which involves the layering of flavor by adding the Parmesan, salt and pepper at different stages, and using egg yolks as the thickener. I don't know what kind of calories his recipe has, but I am sure there are probably a gazillion!



So, I searched around the Internet for a light version of Fettuccine Alfredo. A lot of them did not sound very appetizing to me. Especially since they used things like cottage cheese (yuk!!!) But I think I found one that I could probably work with and did not sound too far off from what I am use too.

Fettuccine Alfredo Low Calorie Recipe
From Fitnessandfreebies.com

Ingredients:
8 ounces fettuccine
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:
Cook the fettuccine according to package directions. Drain but reserve 1/4 cup water. Keep the noodles warm.

In a skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook until it becomes straw colored about 45 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk. Return to the stove and on medium heat continue whisking constantly about 2 minutes, or until thickened. Add the reserved water and the remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth.

Pour over the noodles and serve.

Recipe makes 4 servings.

Nutrition information per serving:
Calories: 247
Total Fat: 3.7g
Cholesterol 49mg
Sodium: 267mg
Total Carbohydrates: 39g
Fiber: 2g


So for me I am not sure why you would put lemon juice in this and I would probably try leaving it out. Also we do not use nutmeg, so I would have to replace it with salt and pepper. As far as the skim milk, well I would just have to hope it taste like half and half.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Ah you got it right with this one. The half and half is the culprit in fettucine alfredo. If you try whole wheat pasta, and add a veggie or two to your new recipe, that would be even healthier. I hope you love your transformation.

Ziggy Stardust said...

It sounds good, my daughter and I love alfredo, but my husband is not a fan. I would like to try this recipe though.

Anne

Unknown said...

i would also leave the lemon juice and nutmeg out. that just sounds weird.

betchai said...

half and half taste better creamier than skim milk, but i love skim milk though for the reason it is less creamy and close to water :) i think i will try this recipe you shared. looks thiner than the original alfredo.

Femmepower said...

hmmm another brilliant recipe to try!i'm gonna check out the ingredients if they're available here.will any kind of cheese do fine?

Laura said...

Femmepower - Parmesan is what is usually in Alfredo. I guess you could always experiment with other kinds.

janis said...

love fettuccine alfredo! thanks for sharing this! :)

Tellie said...

I Love fettuccine Alfredo. In fact, I have some in the fridge thanks for reminding me. Love the low calorie recipe, I'mma have to give that one a go because mine is probably very very unhealthy.

 
template by suckmylolly.com - header image (c) historypicks.com